02 April 2012

FICTIONAL CORRESPONDENCES: What are they? Why do one? How to begin.



Today begins an intermittent series on the creation of Fictional Correspondences.  Future posts will show-n-tell about starting one; making "really real" letters; creating faux postage, letterhead and other stationery, and envelopes; how to mail a fictional letter or package; and so on.  Posts will be detailed with specific how-to info, links, and creative ideas.

These pages are from a brochure I designed and wrote in 1994 for the original Dante's Wardrobe and then revised for this past summer's wizarding event. I thought they would be a fine introduction to the Fictional Correspondences series. (Apologies for the slightly out-of-focus nature of the screenshots.)



If you have any questions or ideas to contribute as we go along, please feel free to comment below or send snail mail to the address listed on the image  above.


Next in the Series: Creating a Writing Persona. (This will be posted on 10 April 2012.)


10 comments:

  1. I love the idea of fictional correspondence, especially given my growing appreciation for pens and different inks! And what a great, unique way to stay connected to a friend or relative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, so you are a pen-n-ink person! Yes, this could definitely lend itself to "pretend letters." In an upcoming post for this series I will be demo-ing how to make an "inside the house" post box for family play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative mail is a lot of fun. I have a couple of boxes somewhere of wildly creative Griffin & Sabine style mail that my then girlfriend and I shared many years ago that I'll have to post someday in the blog. That relationship didn't quite work out, but we did remain very good friends and she was in fact the one that made the Typewriter wedding cake for Tori and my wedding. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. That typewriter cake is GORGEOUS! My compliments to its maker. If you can find those boxes of old letters that would be so fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just turned my wife on to these posts, so she can implement it with our kids whom she home-schools. Thanks for sharing all about this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is SO cool! Thanks for letting me know. I hope you all enjoy playing together.

      Delete
  6. Hmm, after reading this post (referred by DF of Vintage Technology Obsessions), I am considering incorporating it in some way into the International Correspondence Initiative. What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I want to play too. Have left post over on your blog.

      Delete
    2. Noted and replied! To join, I just need an email from you. :)

      Delete
    3. Great - where do I send my email? I don't see an addy on your blog (and I don't do Facebook). Thx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...