All of the characters at our Summer Wizarding Event will be wearing odd hats or headgear of some kind. I offered to make a few. So off to Goodwill (various locations in this town!) I went; to rustle through the bins marked household and the racks of old curtains, table cloths, and miscellaneous upholstery pieces.
When I got home with my little trove of discoveries, I draped the material around a sofa cushion to get ideas for the hat designs I might create. The above valence and sham cover came together nicely. The finished hat did too (though it wound up too small for the intended character . . . sigh! Another person will wear it instead.)