16 September 2012

VIDEO: Icelandic Beauty



I'm middle-aged, 6' 4" tall, and have a gimpy knee -- my childhood dream of making it to another planet just ain't happening. (I couldn't fit in a space ship, even if there were such things, and they probably wouldn't have me anyway.)  Still I pretend - by imagining that my laptop screen is actually a window looking out to and at other worlds (real as well as fictional). My favorite wallpaper images, which I change out every few weeks, are typically landscapes.

This one, of a Welsh seascape, I re-imagine as the Rolny Peninsula of Anarres as described by Ursula K. Le Guin in her legendary work The Dispossessed.


Image source/credit*


I took this shot of the Lake Michigan shore when my Beloved Spousal Unit and I went for a walk at the Schlitz Audubon Nature Center.  Not sure what planet it might be.  Come winter, though, I'll use it to remind me that Wisconsin does indeed have summers!




Every so often my inner child demands a more fun world view 


 

At the moment, though, I am totally geeking out 
with this image of the Tarantula Nebula taken by the Hubble Telescope.



@BadAstronomer Phil Plait posted this.
Click here to get that story and the link to the ginormous version of the image.


So very many thanks to Joe Hanson (@jtotheizzoe), author of the science blog It's OKay to Be Smart for bringing this video of Iceland to my attention.  I found myself wanting to book a trip to Iceland as well as imagining I was watching some future NASA rover's video from another world.




For total excellence, view it in full screen mode.


Note to WLIW New York and the Visions Of  video-making folks:  If you would redo some of your wonderfully beautiful videos without the lame narration, with only landscapes (not cities), and just with decent music, I would pay many American dollars for their purchase!


* I found this image online some 7 years ago . . . at a site featuring photographs of the Welsh country- and sea sides.  The site no longer exists and, unfortunately, I did not note the name of the photographer.



2 comments:

  1. That video is stunning! It really does look like another world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meanwhile, check out this bee-yoo-tee-muss timelapse of Ireland!
      http://vimeo.com/48902785

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...