06 April 2012

Wherein a Rhinoceros Typed

Back in November a happy bunch of loonies participated in National Novel Writing Month, aka NaNoWriMo - an annual event where people try to write a 50,000-word novel in 30 days.  An even loonier subset of this writerly bunch attempts to enact this feat using manual typewriters.  They call themselves The Typewriter Brigade.

The Brigade gathered on one of the NaNo forums and would regale each other with their tales of typerly fortitude and frustrations.  I did not sign up to write but I had a great deal of fun entertaining the Brigadiers with images I created in response to their natterings.

The madness all began with this image by mpclemens of Clickthing. The origin of the term/meme NANO RHINO can be found at Mr. Clemens' post here.

Nano Rhino

The convoluted grammar is, as many recognize, was inspired by LOL Cat. This erudite bit from Wikipedia shall explain: "A lolcat (pronounced /ˈlɒlkæt/ LOL-kat) is an image combining a photograph of a cat with text intended to contribute humor. The text is often idiosyncratic and grammatically incorrect, and its use in this way is known as "lolspeak" or "kitty pidgin".  We called our images lolrhino or NANO RHINO.  Here are a few of my contributions to the cause.

(All the images I used were from the Public Domain.  The software I used for 'em was nothing fancy: Microsoft Word and an image-grabber called SnagIt by TechSmith.) 






These last two are my favorites.



The entire series can be viewed at my Flickrstream here.

The collected images of the NaNoWriMo's Typewriter Brigade can be found here.


  1. Very nice.

    Thanks for the post and link to all the rhinos.

    I've previously seen only a few of these (Mainly Mike's) since in November I was only a month back to typing and found out about NaNoWriMo. I'd love to have the time to try 50k words that truly make sense in a month.

  2. Thanks Bill. I am SO impressed by anyone who tackles the NaNoWriMo adventure. Those that do it on typewriters (or by hand) are truly dedicated. (I already insinuated above that they were "loonies" so I am backpedaling here to heap my admiration upon their literary heads!) ;-)

  3. We wear our Loonie Badges with pride. They look smashing with the clown shoes and baggy pants. Heeyuk!

  4. Surely some typospherian out there has access to an embroidery machine - some Loonie Typewriter Badges would be great. ;-D

  5. These are great! Now someone needs to create a Nyan Rhino gif.

  6. Dwayne, Ask and ye shall receive: http://bit.ly/HkhL1l You are welcome!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...