17 March 2012

VIDEO: The Art of Others


OFFF Cincinnati 2011 - Let's Feed The Future from OFFF, let's feed the future on Vimeo.

I found this video to be exciting and uplifting.  Perhaps you will too.


  1. This is such an inspiring video, glad you shared it with us.

    "The Art of Others"... nice ring to it.

  2. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.

    I like the combined focus on young hands and old hands. Craft and creativity are often seen as the domain of the young.

    We went violin shopping again today. This is an iterative process that will take its time. I got to step into a maker's workspace and see where raw wood is gradually formed into singular instruments, each with its own unique voice. This particular artisan has been building instruments for over thirty years and has no intent of retiring.

  3. Thanks, Ton. I find myself re-watching it every few days. Very restorative somehow.

  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Dwayne.

    My brother - I'll call him Luthier on this blog - started a 3 year program in violin-making school this past August. This after retiring from a 35 year career as a "lawman". He is finding it quite a challenge yet hugely satisfying. I like hearing him talk about it.

    One neat thing he is doing is gradually collecting a set of his own tools. He is taking his time there, he says, buying the best one at a time.

    1. I love a good tool. The ones that feel best in the hand are my grandfather's Craftsman auto tools from roughly the 1940s. They were hand turned back then and are just right.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...